Leave Your Car Quiche at Home
(makes 6-8 servings)
- 1 ½ cups milk or half & half, (Can use dairy free hempseed milk too!)
- 3-4 eggs
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup grated cheddar cheese, 1/3 cup jack cheese, & 1/3 cup pecorino Romano grated cheese
Other Optional Cheese choices to add:
- Smoked goat
- Smoked Gouda
Good Base Flavor Options (can use all or one):
½ cup each green onions, leeks and red or white onions (adding fennel and shallots to this onion mixture gives it a wonderful flavor, too)
Decide on the type(s) of quiche you’d like to make.
Types of Quiches (choose your favorite or make a few!)
- Fresh Herbs and vegetable
- Meat (ham/crumbled bacon/or chicken sausage)
- Seafood (1-cup crab or 1 cup shrimp, smoked salmon)
Quiche recipe ideas:
- ½ cup broccoli par boiled, 2 leeks (slice white part only, sautéed in butter, ½ teaspoon dried thyme or 1 teaspoon fresh thyme chopped finely
- 1 large bunch fresh spinach or Swiss Chard chopped, (sauté until wilted)
- bacon (cooked and crumbled) with ½ cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 Italian Sausages (cooked and chopped)
In small skillet, over medium heat, cook onions, leeks and a little fresh minced garlic until soft and translucent. Add seasonings and cook for another 2 minutes. If using mushrooms, and or Swiss Chard or spinach, add to onion mixture with an additional 1 tablespoon butter, cook until soft and wilted. Remove from heat and set aside.
If adding vegetables, bring a pot of water to a rolling boil. Add the cut up vegetables and blanch for 3 minutes only. Vegetables will continue cooking while they are cooling.
In a large mixing bowl mix eggs, milks, sugar, and onion mixture until well blended. Add cheeses and vegetables.
Lightly butter a 9-inch quiche plate. Pour in egg and vegetable mixture. Top with fresh herbs or seasonings.
Bake in a pre-heated 350-degree oven for 45-60 minutes. Quiches should be browned and firm. To test, place a knife in the center and it should come out clean when done.