Healthy Cinco de Mayo
We hand-picked these simple and healthy Mexican-themed treats, sure to delight this Cinco de Mayo. So what are you waiting for? Time to get in the kitchen – andale, andale!
Pina Colada Smoothie
- 1 large frozen banana, cut into chunks
- 1 C fresh pineapple, chopped
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ¼ C light coconut milk from a can (or use 1 full cup coconut milk from a carton)
- ¾ C unsweetened coconut milk from a carton
Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until completely smooth. Serve cold.
Mexican Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 red peppers, cut in half and seeds removed
- 2 green peppers, cut in half and seeds removed
- ½ pound lean ground turkey, browned and drained (or can use mushrooms for a vegetarian option)
- 1 Tbsp. taco seasoning
- 1 ½ cups brown rice, cooked
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup fresh sweet corn
- 8oz salsa
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella, divided (or can omit for a vegan option)
- Garnish (optional): cilantro, sour cream, and/or avocado slices
- Preheat oven to 350F. Place peppers on baking sheet, drizzle with 1 Tbsp. olive oil, and roast for 20 minutes until softened. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Sauté onions in remaining olive oil until soft, about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix together turkey (or mushrooms), taco seasoning, rice, beans, corn, salsa, and ½ cup mozzarella.
- Spoon mixture into peppers and sprinkle remaining ½ cup mozzarella on top.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until filling is heated through and cheese is melted on top.
- Serve with garnish on the side.
Cinnamon Sugar Tortilla Chips with Strawberry Kiwi Salsa
- 1 cup diced fresh strawberries
- ½ cup diced fresh kiwis (about 3 kiwis)
- 3 tablespoons strawberry preserves
Tortilla Chip Ingredients:
- 3-5 small flour tortillas
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted (or substitute pan spray)
- ½ cup white granulated sugar
- ½ tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, combine strawberries, kiwis, and preserves, mixing gently until combined.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- In a small bowl, mix cinnamon and sugar until combined.
- Brush both sides of the tortillas with butter.
- Sprinkle both sides of the tortillas generously with the cinnamon sugar and cut into 8 wedges or strips.
- Spread the chips evenly on a baking sheet and bake 8-10 minutes until crispy.
- Serve the chips warm with the bowl of fruit salsa.
For more healthy Cinco de Mayo recipes, check out our Pinterest page.