BACK-TO-SCHOOl IS HERE: IT’S RECESS TIME AND GrowingGreat IS IN FULL SWING WITH LUNCH RECIPES!
It’s time to go back to school! Check out these 3 delicious, nourishing and brain-fueling ideas for your children’s lunch boxes.
1. Greek Salad Pita Sandwich
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup of chopped seeded plum or cherry tomatoes
- 1 seedless cucumber chopped and diced
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons of chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped radishes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons of crumbled feta cheese
- 1 whole wheat pita bread, halved
INSTRUCTIONS: Whisk olive oil and red wine vinegar in large bowl. Season dressing with salt and pepper. Mix tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, red onion, radishes, and parsley into dressing. Stir in feta cheese. DO AHEAD: Salad can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and chill. Using slotted spoon, transfer salad mixture to pita bread halves.
2. Hummus, Turkey, Carrots and Avocado Wrap
- 1 round whole wheat tortilla of wrap
- 2-3 tablespoons Sabra hummus
- 2 tablespoons shredded carrots
- 3 oven roasted turkey slices, shaved
- ¼ avocado, diced
INSTRUCTIONS: Place your tortilla on a flat surface. Spread hummus, sprinkle with shredded carrots, layer turkey slices around tortilla, top with diced avocado. Beginning on one end, roll wrap tightly. Slice in half, use a bento pick to hold it together (if needed), and place in lunchbox.
3. Couscous Salad with Broccoli and Raisins
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/3 cup whole-wheat couscous
- 1 cup small broccoli florets (2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese (1 ounce)
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
INSTRUCTIONS: In a saucepan, bring 2/3 cup lightly salted water to a boil. Add couscous, cover, and remove from heat. Let stand until tender, 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and transfer to a bowl. Toss broccoli, chickpeas, raisins, feta, oil, and vinegar with warm couscous. Season with salt and pepper.